AnsweredAssumed Answered

PointGeometry to FeatureLayer work in python window, not in Tool (python)

Question asked by rastrauch Champion on Apr 5, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 by rastrauch

Similar issue to

MakeFeatureLayer_management does not add layer to TOC?    (which I even had answer to) and

https://community.esri.com/message/416673#comment-416673

I have tried many incarnations of the Make Feature Layer options from those two threads.  My tool works fine if I copy/past in the ArcMap python window, but when I run from the tool, my final result is an empty table (but with all the fields I added). No Error.    I also successfully use the MakeFeatureLayer command in this same tools, but those are coming from feature classes, not PointGeometry.

When I traced it backwards, with many print statements,  the difference seems to be that my FeatureLayer created from my PointGeometry is empty when running from the tool...but a count of one (as it should be) when running in the python window.

#  all the necessary variables are valid
ptGeom = arcpy.PointGeometry(arcpy.Point(ptX, ptY, 0, 0, ptid))
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(ptGeom, "origPtFL")  
resultCountPT = int(arcpy.GetCount_management("origPtFL").getOutput(0))
print("\n {}: {} recs".format("origPtFL", resultCountPT))

This is a snippet from a longer tool that wouldn't be practical to include, but all the variables, etcs are assigned. but since the count for "origPtFL" is now zerow, when I get down to

arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(tmpContourFL, nearType, "origPtFL", nearDist)"  

the results perpetual zero records.

BTW - the ptX, ptY values are coming thru fields in a table in a searchcursor.   I know this isn't enough to be able to recreate the process, and I don't expect anyone to create a tool just to test this, but hoping someone else has a workable solution to this.  BTW - I have put in a support ticket, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Outcomes