Warning: The workspace containing this data cannot be edited

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 08:11 AM
GordonBooth
New Contributor III

I have a hosted feature layer in AGOL. I want to edit the layer in ArcGIS for Desktop. I open the layer in ArcGIS for Desktop and select edit the layer and I get the following message:

"Warning: The workspace containing this data cannot be edited"

Editing is enabled on this layer in AGOL:

Any ideas why I cannot edit the feature layer in ArcGIS for Desktop?EditEnabled.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Gordon,

What version of ArcMap are you using? Were you able to successfully create a local copy?

If you can't make a local copy, I would suggest contacting Technical Support for more help.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Gordon,

What version of ArcMap are you using? Were you able to successfully create a local copy?

If you can't make a local copy, I would suggest contacting Technical Support for more help.

-Kelly

GordonBooth
New Contributor III

I have 10.2.1.

Thanks Kelly for pointing me in the right direction. I am now able to edit the hosted feature layer.

- Gordon

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Am I missing something on how I fix this issue KGerrow-esristaff ?  I'd rather not have to do a workaround of having to make a local copy and then upload back to AGOL.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Naomi,

Making a local copy for editing in ArcMap, allows you to make a local copy of the data and then synchronize it without having to republish the data. You can make edits directly through to the data in ArcGIS Pro, although the make a local copy workflow in ArcMap will result in the data being edited as desired.

Making a local copy of a feature service for editing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

-Kelly

0 Kudos