Distance Between Two Points

04-05-2016 01:27 AM
Bhargav_KumarK
New Contributor

I have Digital Terrian Elevation Data(DTED file) for an area. My requirement is that I need to calculate distance between two points in the above mentioned area considering elevation data, not just geodesic length. Basically I want to calculate walking distance between these two points considering elevation i.e there might be some highs and downs in between so a person has to climb or get down, adding more distance than actual point to point distance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

There may be other ways to do it now, but the best and most straight forward way to do it will probably be with the Add Surface Information GP tool - Add Surface Information—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Unfortunately, this tool is not supported with the current release of local server. However, it will be supported with our Quartz release. Once this happens, my recommendation for you would be to make a model or script that uses this tool in ArcMap, then export as GPK, and consume in ArcGIS Runtime via local server.

0 Kudos
Bhargav_KumarK
New Contributor

Thanks for answer. The DTED I have is in 4326 spatial reference. So in order to use Add Surface Information—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ​, what spatial reference should be used for input line feature?

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

The tool might reproject the data for you (I am not positive), but I would just use the project function on the Geometry Engine to change it from whatever you have into 4326, just to keep it consistent.

0 Kudos