Watershed tool producing same output as basin tool for all pour points

04-04-2016 08:24 AM
WilliamLubega
New Contributor

I am trying to delineate watersheds in a region in order to do spatial interpolation by top-kriging at some ungaged sites. I have followed all the intermediary steps for the delineation (Filling, Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, Pour Point Snapping) successfully. However, when I get to the Watershed tool, regardless of where I place the pour points, the output I get is the basin (generated with the Basin tool) in which the pour point is located. For example in the image attached, the output from the basin tool is shown on the left. When I run the watershed tool with the snapped pour point in red, the delineated watershed (in green, on the right) is just the basin in which the pour point is located instead of the upstream contributing catchment for that particular pour point.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

(I am using the Hydrology Tools in the Spatial Analyst Toolbox, ArcGIS 10.3)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you use force all edges to flow outward when delineaating basins?

Basin—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
WilliamLubega
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I did not select that option when I was using the Flow Direction tool. Could that be a factor?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you give it a try?

I moved this from GIS to Spatial Analyst​ perhaps a Share to Arc Hydro​ would be prudent, if you doing the analysis there in case there is a difference between the SA and AH methodologies

0 Kudos
WilliamLubega
New Contributor

Thanks for moving it. I did give it a try, but the output was the same.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

strange... dow you actually have a drainage network that you could burn into the terrain? and were you using pour points on it?  Perhaps a picture referencing the pour points to the streams or equivalent with respect to the terrain might help.  (and all your sinks are gone of course... I usually run sink a few times to insure filling doesn't create more although it isn't supposed to.)

WilliamLubega
New Contributor

Update: I switched from using Spatial Analyst Hydrology Tools  to using the Arc Hydro Tools and it worked just fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos