Cross Section of Multi patch features

04-01-2016 01:49 AM
Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

I am working with a 3D GIS project which involves many multi-patch feature classes which are mostly Building Models created in various environments and then imported into ArcGIS.So, most of them are "open multi-patch" features.

The goal is to create cross section of those features either as a multi-patch layer or just for visualizing purpose. I tried "Intersect 3D" tool of 3D Analyst but it requires it to be a closed multipatch layer, but its not.

Is there any possible methods to create or visualize the cross section of those images in ArcGIS or ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And you don't want to close them or they can't be closed? Since there are tools to close them

An overview of the 3D Features toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

I don't want to close them. But if there were any chances to close them and able to run a "intersect 3d" tool, I like to use it.

0 Kudos
Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

I tried enclose multipatch which created the enclosed multipatch feature class. But that is not creating result from intersect 3D tool. I think that the method of closing the polygons is not working or I have to use another tool. Any advises?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No, I would have to see a visual of what you are trying to accomplish

0 Kudos
PhilHenley
New Contributor

Arun, Section Sketch will draw sections through mutipatches. If yours cause a particular problem we'd be happy to take a look. More info here Section Sketch — Frogtech Geoscience