Shapefile attribute table from ANSI to UTF

03-18-2016 04:34 AM
VojtěchBlažek1
New Contributor III

I've got problem.

I made a polygon shapefile..., in attribute table are czech diacritics (like Třebonín).

When I zip the shapefile and upload to arcgis online -> characters with czech diacritics turn into  Tøebonín etc.

I know whats going on, when I uploading  a csv file --- I encoded the file in notepad ++ to utf 8 and everything works perfect.

In this case if I encoded dbf file then the  shapefile says is broken. I read this topic (encoding - How to encode shapefiles from LATIN1 to UTF-8? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exc... ) but if I use Qgis its doesnt work with ArcMap or Online.

Its some easy way to turn into UTF?

Thanks a lot

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is a recent post... that I will try to find... regarding codepages, shapefiles and QGIS, it seems the latter may not be playing well with maintaining the tabular structure since it fails to create a codepage file (look at the shapefile and look for a *.cpg file... it is a simple text file that should contain one line line... UTF-8 ... for that encoding)

EDIT

here is a related thread

importing UTF-8 shapefiles into feature class (with attachment)

VojtěchBlažek1
New Contributor III

Thanks for advice

0 Kudos
JohannaKollin
New Contributor III

You probably got your problem fixed already, but I always import shapefiles into a file gdb to be certain that the character encoding will be in UTF-8 and then export them back to shapfile. probably not the best way to do it but works for me.

0 Kudos
VojtěchBlažek1
New Contributor III

I did not fix the problem. I've tried export to file geodatabase end export, still nothing.

Thanks anyway

0 Kudos