Characters at the end of Layer names display before the layer name in legend

Jump to solution
03-16-2016 10:03 AM
JoAnnaAtkins
New Contributor

I have a layer name :  Location (Approx.)

When it is displayed in the legend on a layout it is shown as (.Location (Approx

I have tried other characters at the end of a layer name and it does the same thing:

Location #   =  #Location

Location? = ?Location

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Try unchecking the "Right to left reading" option in the Legend Properties dialog, at the bottom of the Layout tab.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry, but what are you viewing this behavior in?

Is this in ArcMap? Once the layer name is edited in the TOC, that's what usually appears in the legend IMHO.

Or is this in AGOL or somewhere else.

Software version also please.

0 Kudos
JoAnnaAtkins
New Contributor

ArcMap 10.4

TOC Layer name  Location (Approx.)

Layout legend shows layer name (.Location (Approx

Any characters at the end of TOC Layer name display before Layer name word in the Layout Legend

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Try unchecking the "Right to left reading" option in the Legend Properties dialog, at the bottom of the Layout tab.

JoAnnaAtkins
New Contributor

Thanks, that worked.

I would rather have the "Right to left reading" because of the length of some Layer names, but this does get rid of the characters being misplaced.

0 Kudos
JoAnnaAtkins
New Contributor

I find that if I change the "style" of an individual layer in the legend and go to properties, change the arrangement of the Legend Item to  "Description Label" before the color box, then it works.

Gotta Love it!

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

The "Right to left reading" setting is for languages that read right to left, like Arabic and Hebrew. As you found, there are other controls and options for arranging the legend and the patches and labels and such.