AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do get different users to edit the same data in ArcGIS Online

Question asked by MidnightYell2003 Champion on Mar 15, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 by MidnightYell2003

Hi Everyone, I hope that I am just missing something simple here but there does not seem to be an easy/secure way to have certain users edit data in AGOL.

Here is the scenario.

• I have a public map with one feature service (that has three layers).
  • This feature service was published from ArcMap straight to the cloud (not through a server).
  • I want to be able to have users in my organization, in a certain group, to be able to edit this feature service on my public web map.

When I enable editing for the feature service, then it seems like anyone and everyone can edit the data (without even needing an ArcGIS Online login). I can’t seem to restrict it to just certain users.

From doing a fair amount of research on this and looking into different roles, it seems that the best solution is to have a user in the “Data Curator” role (the one with full edit rights) and have that user open up the feature service into a new map and edit the data that way. This site led me to that thought:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/use-maps/edit-features.htm

…and look at the bottom section of “Add layer to new map with full editing control”

My question is, is there not a way to have a named user in my organization edit my public web map without allowing the whole world to also edit my data? I hope this question is clear enough and that others have come across this issue… I want this to be simple for my non-GIS people in my organization and not have to have them go through many extra steps.

Outcomes