System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

03-12-2016 02:22 PM
PeterRauscher
New Contributor

Hello,

When I try to create a report with a grouped field from a table in ArcMAP, I receive the following error:

"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

The table was generated in MS Excel and added to the data frame. When I open (i.e. link to) the original table in MS Access, I can create the desired report there without any problems. I can also create a report without any grouping in ArcMAP. I am using ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMAP 10.3.1.4959) and have Microsoft.NET framework 4.6.1 installed.

What I tried so far:

• I followed the advice in the thread https://community.esri.com/thread/89781 to store relative pathnames to data sources in the Map Document Properties dialog
  • I found some hints online pointing to firewall settings. I completely disabled my firewall
  • I also found a hint to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) service in a Microsoft developer forum. The service was not running on my machine. I started it manually

None of these steps changed anything, the problem persists. Does anybody have a solution for this...?

Thank you in advance!
PR

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue with my report, or rather: One out of three reports. I have ran a buff/intersect analysis with three different buffer distances, and created three identical reports listing the same fields with the same groupings just for each of the three results. The error occurs only on the largest buffer (about 219k records in the fc, vs. less than 6k in the others) - can it be a size issue? !

(Not sure why thsi is in Installation support - any way to move the discussion to a more logical place?)

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

We're getting the same error.

ArcMap 10.7.1.

.NET 4.8.3752.0.

Trying to run the report on a simple point feature class with attachments that was downloaded as a FGDB from an ArcGIS Online field collection project. We're just trying to display the first attachment picture in the report using the 'RelatedReport' control with a Picture inserted, using the DATA field which indicates BLOB as the image source, as described here.

We have a corporate IT structure, so ADMIN tasks such as disabling the firewall or running Windows services that are not part of our install are not an option.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

We figured out our issue - there was an in-memory join to a CSV table that the layer being used for the report had on it (for symbology purposes). Once we removed the join, the report worked and displayed our attachment pictures.

0 Kudos