ArcGIS Pro 1.2 Doesn't "see" .mdb or .gdb

Jump to solution
03-04-2016 04:21 PM
LeeSusan
New Contributor

I have several .mdb's & .gdb's generated form ArcGIS of various iterations from 9.3 to 10.3. Although ArcGIS Pro may see some of theses gdb's it doesn't recognize that which is contained within, meaning ArcGIS Pro "thinks" the gdb's are empty. As for the mdb's ArcGIS Pro doesn't see them at all. Both gdb's and mdb's are recognized in my ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 and are functional. Any insight?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI,

As a 64-bit app, Pro doesn't support personal geodatabases at all (*.mdb)

For the GDB problem - create a folder connection to the folder ABOVE the GDB and make sure the GDB is not inside a folder with the same name (or anything else .gdb) - I've seen issues with that sort of nested folder before.

Beyond that - I would recommend calling support for more interactive troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you 'see' in the context of 'add data'   from them?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI,

As a 64-bit app, Pro doesn't support personal geodatabases at all (*.mdb)

For the GDB problem - create a folder connection to the folder ABOVE the GDB and make sure the GDB is not inside a folder with the same name (or anything else .gdb) - I've seen issues with that sort of nested folder before.

Beyond that - I would recommend calling support for more interactive troubleshooting.

LeeSusan
New Contributor

It's the .mdb issue thanks! I converted my .mdb's to .gdb's and that did the trick.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although the correct answer has been stated already, here is a link to some relevant documentation:  001324: Personal Geodatabases are not supported in 64-bit versions of ArcGIS.

Description

Personal geodatabases do not scale well in the 64-bit environment. They cannot be used by 64-bit versions of ArcGIS.

Solution

Modify your data sources to a supported type with 64-bit ArcGIS. Using the Create File GDB tool, you can create a file GDB and then import your layers into it using the Feature Class to Geodatabase (multiple) tool.

As the error description states, this isn't an ArcGIS Pro issue, per se, it is a 64-bit ArcGIS issue.  Whether one is talking about ArcGIS for Server, Background Geoprocessing (64-bit), or ArcGIS Pro; personal geodatabases aren't supported because the applications are 64-bit.