Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component error when exporting feature layer.

Jump to solution
02-26-2016 10:32 AM
TimHitchins1
New Contributor

Hello-

I am using an AGOL feature service and am receiving this error when trying to export in in any format:

"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

I have exported several times before and have never encountered this issue.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It sounds like for Tim Hitchins the issue was with quotation marks in the feature layer name. These characters were most likely causing an issues with and illegal character on export. 

Mark Senne does your feature layer have any special characters in the name?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It looks like there might be a solution in this forum post:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Though it's related to ArcHydro, so I am not sure if there is compatibility in the help for the online stuff.

Can you list the exact steps you are taking to get this? And is your layer public where it can be tried by someone else?

TimHitchins1
New Contributor

Thanks Adrain-

I reviewed the suggested forum post and unfortunately the solution will not work as I can not work from my local drive when using my AGOL account.  My problem occurs when I open my feature service from the "my content" directory and click to export as any type of file format (.shp, .csv. JSON, etc).  After filling out the title, tags and summary and click the export button to start the export, the process begins but seems to be stuck in an endless loop until it eventually times out to give the "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

0 Kudos
TimHitchins1
New Contributor

I am also now seeing the "illegal character" error message.  I am starting to believe that this has to do with the fact the feature layer is called click "x" button when done.  The " " characters may be effecting the export.

0 Kudos
MarkSenne
New Contributor II

Was there ever a solution to this, Tim. I am having the same issues.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It sounds like for Tim Hitchins the issue was with quotation marks in the feature layer name. These characters were most likely causing an issues with and illegal character on export. 

Mark Senne does your feature layer have any special characters in the name?

0 Kudos
TimHitchins1
New Contributor

In the end I had to make sure there were no quotation marks in the layer name.  Export worked fine after that.

0 Kudos