Select to view content in your preferred language

can I retrieve a value from a choice list?

02-18-2016 11:29 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also this question I asked already on github but since I didn't receive an helping answer yet I hope to get some hints here.

Following scenario: The field trac_letter is filled by select_one from the list trac_letter. Now the next field should show a trac number which should be filled from either the list trac_letter (or a new list trac_nr for example) where I would list the numbers to show, depending on the trac_letter that was chosen before. I would assume that should be possible through the calculate field and readonly but I can't figure out how to access the according field in the list. I tried ${trac_letter.nr} for example but that obviously does not work.

The cascading selects are working well and are really helpful. But in this case I want to write the according trac number straight to the database without selecting it in the front end. So it should be something in the calculate field like "select trac_nr from trac_nr_list where letter=trac_letter" - only in the correct language 😉

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Nicole,

I am not sure if I correctly understand your question, but it seems to me like a cascading select would fit.  In a cascading select, the values you type in the NAME column of the Choices list go directly into your database. Again, I do not quite follow the question. Can you elaborate a bit?

Ismael

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Ismael for pointing that out.

I would like to store two field values at one time: the trac_letter and the trac_number. But if it's not possible to retrieve the extra value from the choice list it might be a solution to put both values together in the name and divide it afterwards.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

I think I can follow now.

So you can use a first select for your TractLetter. Use the Name to persist the Letter of the Tract

Then you use the second cascaded select for the corresponding list of TractNumbers in that Letter. You will use the Name column to persist the Number.

Then you use a Calculate to join the Letter and Number and you store that as well.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wanted to avoid the second select because it will only show one number and is an unnecessary step for the inquirer to do. But then I would just change the name an extract the number if necessary.

I am trying to think of a different scenario when it could be helpful to retrieve a value from the list...

Just making this up now: In my questionnaire I am asking for the number of nurses at a health center for example. In my choices list of health centers I have the number of served population for this health center as an additional value. I would like to calculate and display the population per nurse ratio in my form to have it stored automatically in my geodatabase. Is that possible? From the xml-logic I would think one should be able to access these "children" somehow.

0 Kudos