EthanHowie

Trouble with Prediction Feature Class from a Geographically Weighted Regression

Discussion created by EthanHowie on Feb 16, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 by JDAcosta-esristaff

Hi all,

Here is my situation: I am looking to use the relationship between a dependent and explanatory variable from one area to predict the same dependent variable for another area. I have done some research and found that the Prediction Feature Class from the Geographically Weighted Regression (GWR) tool should work for this.

I was able to achieve this at a province scale using Census Subdivisions (CSDs) (modelling the relationship for an entire province then overlaying that relationship on another province and getting a proper result); however, when I reduce the size of the study area to the city-scale (and even just to half of the province), every attribute in every record in the resulting Prediction Feature Class is NULL. I thought is would be an issue with the number of features used in the calculation being reduced; however, when I switched to Dissemination Blocks (DBs) (a city of CSDs was around 17 features while a city of DBs was 13,000 features) the Prediction Feature Class still had NULL results.

I've researched this issues extensively but have had no luck finding a solution. If someone is able to help me out or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciate it or if there is another solution to this without using a GWR and Prediction Feature Class I am all ears.

Thanks

Outcomes