Help with creating a new layer! (Beginner)

Jump to solution
02-03-2016 07:59 PM
ChelseaCooper
New Contributor

I'm just going to share an exact example of what I'm trying to ask-

I think that will be easier than trying to explain what I mean...

I created a new layer with no data and named it "New Map"

Now I add a bunch of data like cities, roads, counties ect...

When I right click on the layer name "new map" and go down to properties there is no label field, no query builder, no symbology tab, you get the picture. There is nothing! It doesn't give me the same options as it would if I right clicked one of the data layers under my new field. What do I do to fix this, I can't find anything online!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The first thing you create is a "data frame"  by default when you open up arcmap, a Layer data will be added.

You put layers (aka data with spatial information) into the dataframe.

When you right click on the "data frame" name, you will get a different set of options than when you right-click on one of the layers in the data frame.  This is expected since a data frame is not a layer.  the former is the container, the latter is the object for the container.

Start here... Mapping and visualization in ArcGIS for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and continue as needed

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The first thing you create is a "data frame"  by default when you open up arcmap, a Layer data will be added.

You put layers (aka data with spatial information) into the dataframe.

When you right click on the "data frame" name, you will get a different set of options than when you right-click on one of the layers in the data frame.  This is expected since a data frame is not a layer.  the former is the container, the latter is the object for the container.

Start here... Mapping and visualization in ArcGIS for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and continue as needed

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chelsea,

A screen shot of what you are seeing will also help.  It may be that you have your terminology mixed up, which is what Dan is trying to help you with (i.e. what is a dataframe vs layer, vs maybe a "group"?).  Also, it may be different if you are using ArcGIS Pro and not ArcGIS Desktop (and what version?).  If pro, you may want to look

Get started with ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop   and Terminology and user interface reference guide—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

For ArcGIS Desktop, there are tutorials and other information Get started with ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ChelseaCooper
New Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help with my questions and also my terminology! Greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos