Change Polygon Hatching Angles in Data Driven Pages

Jump to solution
01-29-2016 11:51 AM
DanSoucie1
New Contributor II

I would like to know if anyone has a used data driven pages with sheets at different rotation angles?  In particular, if I were using vertical line hatching polygon feature or a triangle point feature the legend and map symbology rotation angles do not match. I am trying to find a way to do this without having to adjust the angle of the feature in the TOC for each page of my map book?  Thank you in advance.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I'll just point out that point and polygon symbol rotations are actually two separate issues. Point symbol rotation is controlled through the Advanced ArcMap Settings Utility, while I'm not sure where you can control hatching rotation, if anywhere.

This thread indicates no solution to hatching rotation other than converting the hatches to graphics.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Do you have a rotation field?  I was unsure if the rotation option in the Data Driven Pages Dialogue gives you what you are looking for?

DanSoucie1
New Contributor II

Hi Chad, Thank you for responding!  I am not having an issue with the rotation of my data driven pages map book.  It is more a question that the rotation of my symbols vary as the map sheets rotate and thus do not match my legend.  I can adjust the rotation angle in my table of contents for each page but that is time consuming.  So if I am using a rectangle point symbol the legend displays a rectangle with the apex of the triangle up but the symbol on a map sheet where north is not oriented up on the page the apex is not pointing straight up.  This would be the same issue with hatched polygons as well.  

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I'll just point out that point and polygon symbol rotations are actually two separate issues. Point symbol rotation is controlled through the Advanced ArcMap Settings Utility, while I'm not sure where you can control hatching rotation, if anywhere.

This thread indicates no solution to hatching rotation other than converting the hatches to graphics.

DanSoucie1
New Contributor II

Hi Darren, I am enlightened!  I am new to GeoNet and the Advanced ArcMap Settings Utility.  On the "Data Frame" tab I was able to uncheck "Marker Symbol Rotation" and now my hatching is the same on my map as I intended my symbology to be appear in my legend at any specified data frame angle.  Much Appreciated! 

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

OK, then I learned something new, too!

0 Kudos