Partial cache problems

01-11-2016 05:57 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all

I would like to share with you some of our cache problems and see if my understanding is correct and what can be done.

I have a map service with many rasters all over the US.

I would like the site to be faster for New York area.

There are two scenarios:

1. I define cache up to scale 1:4000 and build all levels for New York area only.
  2. I define cache up to scale 1:1000 and build up to level 1:4000 for New York area only.

Now what happened if I am in scale 1:1000 in New York or Los angles?

To my understanding in New York with option 1 I see resample of the cache and in option 2 I see nothing since the server does not find the tile that should be there.

In Los Angles I see nothing in both cases since even the tile above does not exists and it cannot be resampled.

What I would like to see is the dynamic data where cache does not exists even if it a little slower.

Building tiles on demand is very slow and filling my disk without any control. One more problem is that if I update the data I have no idea where the cache is build and should be updated.

We tried WMS connection. It is sowing cache where it exists and dynamic where it does not exist (without building real cache).

It works well when you zoom in but when you zoom out to an area without cache it is very slow. It looks like it does not use the mosaic overviews.

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

After some research here is what I found.

Let's take the example of cache level from 1:64000 to 1:2000 where 1:64000 are built for all the US and 1:2000 is built for New York only.

If you see the map/image service in Java script you will have white screen above 1:3000 outside the New York area.

If you see the map/image service in ArcMap it will resample the 1:64000 and show you some image even in 1:3000 for the entire US.

If you are near New York you might see half screen in good resolution and the other half blurred.

If you drag the cache as local image to ArcMap it behaves the same as JavaScript – it show white outsize the detailed cache.

I cannot find a way to make the JavaScript behave like ArcMap…

Thanks

0 Kudos