Help converting coordinate systems

12-15-2015 09:59 AM
AaronObermiller1
New Contributor

To all, I am a very rudimentary user of ArcMap 10.3.1, I use it for several basic operations that typically involve exporting portions of data sets to CAD.  However, I have a data set that I believe I need to convert in order to export properly.  The rundown:

FEMA makes available GIS data for floodzone information on a County level.  This data comes as GCS: GCS_North_American_1983, Datum: D_North_American_1983.  We also have the County-produced parcel data which comes as PGS: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Kansas_South_FIPS_1502_Feet

When adding the two data sets to ArcMap 10.3.1, they align appropriately.  However, when exporting (such as clipping the FEMA data to a single parcel which is what we will typically do) the FEMA data is scaled at 1/10000 or less and is not aligned with the parcel data at all.  It also appears the FEMA data is reduced in a different scale in the Y-axis when the data is manually aligned and scaled.

I would think this is a result of the different coordinate systems though I can not understand why it would appear correctly in Arc but not as soon as you export.  Can someone provide a step by step process to address this issue?

I'm certain it's frustrating to well-versed users reading posts like this, but I truly appreciate any help.  I find it easier to learn by repeating the actions than trying to stumble through the help index without fully knowing my fundamentals.

0 Kudos
0 Replies