ss5433

How to select a subset from a feature class and add the subset as a layer in ArcMap?

Discussion created by ss5433 on Nov 18, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 by rfairhur24
Hi, I am working on a application developed on .NET platform that interacts with ArcMap, and I would like to know if the proposed process I need to develop can be done or not. If can, how to do it. Your help and advices are highly appreciated.

Basically, we have a feature class in ArcSDE that contains about 20 million of points. Each point feature has a "NAME" field, and normally around 50 - 2000 points are associated with one pacific NAME value. I have developed a form using VB.NET to allow user to input the NAME value they would like to show on the map. My question is: how can I select a subset of the point features based on the user input and display them as a layer in ArcMap.

As I mentioned before, there are huge volume of point features, so I don't want to load the whole feature class into ArcMap - it takes ages to draw. I only want to select a subset of the points from ArcSDE feature class, and show these points in map. Is this difficult to do? I haven't found any relevant information on the net so far.

Please let me know if I didn't explain the question clearly. Thanks in advance for your help!

Outcomes