Story Map Series - Tabbed Layout - Synchronize maps not working

Jump to solution
11-23-2015 10:21 AM
KateNewell
New Contributor III

I am working on a tabbed layout story map and can't seem to synchronize the maps.  I have checked the "synchronize maps" in the settings, and no matter which map I organize in the first position, it doesn't seem to synchronize the maps.  The first map always is shifted too far to the left, no matter which one is placed first.

Any thoughts?

https://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/?appid=3f7fd7176b0a4d689badc2fabf1f53c8

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry about your issue.

I may have found what is the problem, could you try the following and let me know:

Disable the Synchronize map options

Open every entry and set back the Location configuration to map default

Enable the Synchronize map option

Configure the location for the first entry to the desired location

Save and try it out

I am thinking the app is not ignoring the values that you set for every entries before you turned on the synchronize option.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

Sorry about your issue.

I may have found what is the problem, could you try the following and let me know:

Disable the Synchronize map options

Open every entry and set back the Location configuration to map default

Enable the Synchronize map option

Configure the location for the first entry to the desired location

Save and try it out

I am thinking the app is not ignoring the values that you set for every entries before you turned on the synchronize option.

0 Kudos
KateNewell
New Contributor III

Thanks! That seemed to synchronized them again! However they are all still too far to the left...not the custom config. that I set on the first map....

0 Kudos
KateNewell
New Contributor III

Tried resetting again per your instructions and now it is back to the first one just being shifted left.
Maybe I need to delete those three tabs and add again?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Cool. The location that you define in builder should be the same in viewer, I will look into that too.

In the meantime, there is an option in the settings that may help you. After enabling it, you will want to reconfigure the extent and hopefully after save and reload it will be better.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Sorry about this, I missed your second post.

I can't really reproduce the issue except with what I described earlier.

I don't think recreating the story from scratch will change much but would be good to try.

If you can't figure it out, the always working solution is to not sync map extent and define the extent on the 3 maps through map viewer and a combination of reproducible steps to make sure they are exactly identical like search for an address, unzoom 2 times and pan using the keyboard arrows a certain number of times.

0 Kudos
KateNewell
New Contributor III

Ok, so the combination of both of those fixes seems to have solved the issue.  Checking the "Description and legend panel can overlap map location" seems counter intuitive, but it worked!

Thanks.  All seems ok now. Fingers crossed

0 Kudos