AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating a progress bar/progress dialog for a python addin tool

Question asked by simpson.ben1990 on Nov 17, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 by lpinner

Hi,

I have created a python addin toolbar which contains several buttons which run data management scripts in ArcMap. These scripts primarily append data from one or more personal geodatabases to an Oracle database. These scripts can take anywhere from a few seconds to, well longer, depending on the number of geodatabases selected and their size. I currently have several messages displayed using pythonaddins.MessageBox() at the beggining and the end of my scripts. What I am looking to include now is some sort of progres bar or progress dialog box which shows the user how the script is progressing. As it currently standing when the script is run, apart from the current message boxes it is not clear how far along the process the script has got. I would ideally like a progress dialog box which has a progress bar with the ability to print messages below.

The question I have is how do I go about this? I have seen mentions as to pythonaddins.ProgressDialog (The pythonaddins module—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop) but when I try and run the example code in the python window i get an error stating that the 'module' object has no attribute 'ProgressDialog'. I am using ArcGIS 10.2 so not sure if this ProgressDialog function is supported esspecially seeing as the 10.2 help doesnt not mention it.

I would be very greatful if someone could point me in the direction of some useful help documents or tutorials which will show me how to create some sort of progress dialog.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ben.

Outcomes