Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer Label

11-06-2015 10:42 AM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I am looking for a label definition that would allow me to display time since creation.

I want a user to be able to see how long it has been since a point has been created.

Would I be able to display this on a webmap too?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some questions to help clarify your request:

1.  Which software will be used to display this?  And which version?

2.  Is the Creation time an attribute in a dataset or would it be derived by other means (example:  transaction history)?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Chris,

1. Ideally I want it to show over a point in a webapp. I know I have a few steps to get to that point.

I firstly looking at a way to to do it in arcmap 10.2

2. Derived based on Date Created.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ricky you may wish to move your thread to one of the subspaces within web developers in gis

Web GIS

so as to fine-tune your audience, GIS is too general a category and those that may be able to help may not follow the general GIS place

KyleBalke__GISP
Frequent Contributor

Rickey

I assume you have editor tracking enabled on your feature class(es), if not that will be your first step.  Then add a new field (long int) to your feature class to store the elapsed time.  You should then be able to use the DateDiff VB function (I assume there is a Python function as well just not sure what it is called).  Once calculated use the new field to label your features.

The DateDiff will allow you to compare time elapsed from the created_date to the last_edited_date with the interval of your choosing (see the link below on the DateDiff syntax).

VBScript DateDiff Function

Best of luck,

Kyle

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Kyle,

I have editor tracking enabled so I will work on a python script.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos