Import arcpy crashes python shell (64-bit)

10-29-2015 06:07 PM
cecilealbert
New Contributor

First I installed/uninstalled several times ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 +BG64 and each time it led to issues with the python shell, in particular I was unable to run python and I realised it was due to innapropriate python27.dll files (32 insetad of 64 version in win32). Each time I carrefully removed everything from ESRI/ARCGIS/PYTHON and only reinstalled from the esri.exe.

Now I decided to go back to 10.2 (the version I previously had) and again installed Desktop + BG64. Now I can open the python shell (64) and use it for basic things but when importing arcpy it crashes. The 32 shell does not crash. I checked the dll with dependency walker. I checked the InstallPath and PythonPath in the register.

After several installing/unistalling and still having something which is not working I do not know what to do...

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you want to save some grief only use python 2.7 from esri 32bit incarnation and skip background 64 bit.  If you want that, upgrade to 10.3.1 and use ArcGis Pro to allow access Python 3.4 and 64 bit.  They can be kept separate and I have no issues with this environment.