Geodatabase must be enabled as geodatabase admin user

Jump to solution
10-22-2015 01:58 AM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

I've connected to an existing Oracle enterprise database, and I am trying to Geo-enable it  by using the "enable enterprise geodatabase" tool. However I get the following error: "Geodatabase must be enabled as geodatabase admin user. Failed to execute (EnableEnterpriseGeodatabase)."

I got confused, because I am connecting to this database as administrator, but I don't know why I am not able to geo-enable it.

Clip_23.jpg

Clip_24.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
Esri Contributor

"I am connecting to this database as administrator"

De geodatabase administrator is not the same as the Oracle administrator. You have to run this tool as the SDE user. See http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/The_geodatabase_administrator_in_Oracle/00...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
Esri Contributor

"I am connecting to this database as administrator"

De geodatabase administrator is not the same as the Oracle administrator. You have to run this tool as the SDE user. See http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/The_geodatabase_administrator_in_Oracle/00...

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Many thanks Pieter for the prompt input,

I am now connecting to the geodatabase using the "sys" user (which is the Oracle administrator, and not the one that should be used to enable the database to enterprise geodatabase), I've read that I should create an "sde" user that can administer the geodatabase itself. However, I am trying to create this "sde" user by right clicking the "sys" database connection and choosing "create user", but when i name the user as "sde", an error that says:

file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/ESRI/Desktop10.3/ArcToolbox/Dlg/MdDlgContent.htm#ERROR 000198

This tool cannot be used to create the geodatabase administrator user ‘sde’.

May you please elaborate more how can I create this "sde" user?

Best,

Clip_25.jpg

Clip_26.jpg

Clip_27.jpg

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just create the sde user in Oracle and assign it the proper privileges:

Privileges for geodatabases in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

HaniDraidi

Thank you Richard for the valuable contribution,

I've explored the resource you provided above, but actually, I am new to Oracle DB and don't know how to create this "sde" user and how to grant these previlliges. I've installed Oracle Server, client, and SQL Navigator on the machine, but don't know how to create users with them.

May you please elaborate more how can I create this user using this environment?

Your help is highly appreciated!

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Hi Richard,

I've created the ''sde'" user, and assigned the required privileges except some privileges that I could not grant. In the screenshot below:

Clip_31.jpg

Can anyone help how I can grant them to this user?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Use the 'Create Enterprise Geodatabae' tool. It can create the SDE user, table space, grant necessary permissions all by itself.

Also check out the two tools to get the use of each.

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Dear Asrujit,

I tried your suggestion. However, the "create enterprise geodatabase" tool ended with the error below:

Clip_1190.jpg

Clip_1191.jpg

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That is an error when connecting to the Oracle database. Are you using TNSNAMES for connecting or EZConnect?

Try something like this: ServerName/SID (Server name that Oracle is installed on/Oracle SID Name)

That should get you past that error.

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Hi George,

I am using TNSNAMES. Also, I tried using "ServerName/SID", but the same error appeared again!

Best,

0 Kudos