Possible bug in MapOverlay when using touch/stylus?

Jump to solution
10-07-2015 09:50 AM
TomRippetoe
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have noticed some unexpected behavior regarding the touch/stylus events that I think should be raised when using a MapOverlay with a UI control inside of the overlay. In general, if I put a button inside of a MapOverlay and attach a listener to the button's click event, the event handler is called when using a mouse, but the equivalent touch/stylus events are not raised when using a stylus or finger. Instead of raising a click event for the button, a collection of MapView events are raised, e.g. stylus down, touch down, stylus up, and so on.

I see this behavior with the 10.2.4 and 10.2.6 .NET Runtimes on a Panasonic FZ-M1 running Windows 7 and on a Dell touchscreen laptop running Windows 8.

Is this the expected behavior or a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

You can see this behavior by adapting the MapView_Overlays example code in the Runtime .NET SDK (Windows Desktop) Code Examples section. Below is what i did. When i click the 'CloseTooltip' button with the mouse, the expected handler is called, But when i click the button with a touch or stylus, none of the event handlers are called.

XAML

<esri:MapView.Overlays>
                <esri:OverlayItemsControl>
                    <Border Margin="5" Background="#ffffffff" 
        VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="175" BorderBrush="Black" BorderThickness="1" x:Name="MyOverlay"> 
                    <Grid  HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Top" Margin="3,3,0,0" >
                            <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                                <RowDefinition Height="60"/>
                            </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                            <ColumnDefinition Width="*"/>
                            <ColumnDefinition Width="60"/>
                        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                        <Button Grid.Column="1" Content="X"  Margin="5" Name="CloseTooltip" Click="CloseTooltip_Click"></Button>
                        <TextBlock Grid.Column="0" Text="{Binding [areaname]}" FontWeight="Bold" Margin="5" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Center"/>
                    </Grid>
                    </Border>
                </esri:OverlayItemsControl>
            </esri:MapView.Overlays>

C#

private void CloseTooltip_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
        {
            AddToEventsList("CLOSE Tooltip button clicked with MOUSE.");
            ClearMapOverlays();
        }

private void CloseTooltip_Click(object sender, StylusButtonEventArgs e)
        {
            AddToEventsList("CLOSE Tooltip button clicked with STYLUS.");
            ClearMapOverlays();
        }

private void CloseTooltip_Click(object sender, TouchEventArgs e)
        {
            AddToEventsList("CLOSE Tooltip button clicked with TOUCH.");
            ClearMapOverlays();
        }

private void CloseTooltip_Click(object sender, MapViewInputEventArgs e)
        {
            AddToEventsList("CLOSE Tooltip button clicked with Map View Events.");
            ClearMapOverlays();
        }

private void ClearMapOverlays()
        {
            MapView.SetViewOverlayAnchor(MyOverlay, null);
            _FeatureLayer.ClearSelection();
        }
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomRippetoe
Occasional Contributor

Keeping with the time honored traditions, i stumbled upon the answer to my question about 15 minutes after posting.

I was missing the 'StylusButtonDown' event. As soon as i added that event to button's code, the behavior was as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomRippetoe
Occasional Contributor

Keeping with the time honored traditions, i stumbled upon the answer to my question about 15 minutes after posting.

I was missing the 'StylusButtonDown' event. As soon as i added that event to button's code, the behavior was as expected.

0 Kudos