Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to get back to the intro section (intro Image)?

Jump to solution
10-01-2015 09:01 AM
JayThakur
Deactivated User

Hi,

I am using storytelling map tour with integrated setting.

I created intro  with a picture to my map.

I can only see it when i start the map, but if i want to go back to the intro page again ?

I want to know if there is any possibility to go to the intro picture when desired??

Thank you,

Dr. Jay Krishna Thakur,

CEO, Thakur International, Nepal

CEO, UIZ, Germany

Neue Grünstraße

38, 10179, Berlin, Germany

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Eddie,

As Greg mentioned if you want your viewers to be able to get back to your initial explanation screen you shouldn't use an intro point in your tour. Make your intro screen as tour point #1 and perhaps make it a different color icon to distinguish it from the rest of the points. You can put the first point at a location like your office in DC or just the center of DC.

This is not an ideal user experience, but another option would be to put a hyperlink for your app in the subtitle section. That would essentially reload the app at the intro screen. For this you'd use the HTML code in the subtitle field like this:

<a href="http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/?appid=abcdefghi123456789">Click here to show intro.</a>

We are looking at updating the existing Map Tour layouts and adding several new ones in 2016, and we will consider adding this feature as part of that update. I've added an issue for this request on GitHub and you can follow it here.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

Hi,

I'm afraid there isn't any way to do this through the user interface and it's not easy through code either.

If you want user to be able to get back to it, you should not use an intro screen.

0 Kudos
EddieLuthy
Deactivated User

Well we need this option to be available. Has this been corrected yet? In Builder Mode (an editing session) there is  an "intro" tab at the bottom along with the tour points that does exactly this. This needs to be available for end users. If we (the City of Washington DC) create a story map for the public which has an intro page explaining in detail what the map tour is about and a member of the pubic decides to click into the tour to take a peek before really reading what it's all about...they need to be able to return to that intro page if they in fact decide 'hey this is of interest to me and I want to go back and read what exactly this is all about so I understand what I'm seeing here'.

So has this been updated/corrected yet?

EL - DC Office of Planning

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Eddie,

As Greg mentioned if you want your viewers to be able to get back to your initial explanation screen you shouldn't use an intro point in your tour. Make your intro screen as tour point #1 and perhaps make it a different color icon to distinguish it from the rest of the points. You can put the first point at a location like your office in DC or just the center of DC.

This is not an ideal user experience, but another option would be to put a hyperlink for your app in the subtitle section. That would essentially reload the app at the intro screen. For this you'd use the HTML code in the subtitle field like this:

<a href="http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/?appid=abcdefghi123456789">Click here to show intro.</a>

We are looking at updating the existing Map Tour layouts and adding several new ones in 2016, and we will consider adding this feature as part of that update. I've added an issue for this request on GitHub and you can follow it here.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
EddieLuthy
Deactivated User

Thanks much!

0 Kudos