Combining UTM and Lat Long data into single layers.

Jump to solution
09-20-2015 01:36 PM
Labels (3)
SeanClawson
New Contributor II

I have animal location data that was collected in UTMs by some assistants and Lat Long by other assistants.  I would like to combine these data into layers for each individual animal to show these location points.  I'm uncertain what is the best way to do this.  It appears Data Frame is in  WGS 1984 World Mercator coordinate system so I would like to change both these UTM data and Lat Long data to this as well.  All suggestions are most welcome.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

You can use the Project tool to change the projection of one layer to match the other. However, each layer will need to have an existing coordinate system assigned for this to work.

There are some good tips on this page:

When to use the Define Projection tool and the Project tool? | Support Services Blog

After the data sets are in the same projection you can use the Merge tool to combine them.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

You can use the Project tool to change the projection of one layer to match the other. However, each layer will need to have an existing coordinate system assigned for this to work.

There are some good tips on this page:

When to use the Define Projection tool and the Project tool? | Support Services Blog

After the data sets are in the same projection you can use the Merge tool to combine them.

SeanClawson
New Contributor II

Thank you for your input.  Your input/advice seems to be doing the trick.  Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.