how generate missing contour lines from existing contour lines?

09-02-2015 03:54 PM
AliciaShyu_Love
New Contributor II

I have some elevation data as contour lines but there are places where the contours just stop. I've been reading about interpolation but they all start with points, is there any interpolation method that I can do using the existing contour lines?  Thanks!

Contours.jpg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You could interpolate the existing contours, using Topo to raster (Topo to Raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  ,  and then derive new contours, but you will loose precision.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the incomplete contour lines cause undesired artifacts at the ends you could consider excluding them from the interpolation.

Question: how were these contour lines generated? It seems a little strange that every second line stops at a similar Y (lat) value.

AliciaShyu_Love
New Contributor II

The contour lines are USGS 24k. We need areas above 2500ft (middle pink line in image) but the 2500 contour is missing at certain areas. After reading about interpolation I was hoping that we could create a complete 2500 ft contour.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can't produce a new contour or extend an existing without re-interpolating

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

resolved?

0 Kudos
AliciaShyu_Love
New Contributor II

Sorry, got pulled to do another project. Haven't had a chance to do the interpolation for the contours yet.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I wonder if maybe a more complete contour data set is available, which would save having to interpolate.  Here's some links that may be of help:

topotools.cr.usgs.gov/contour_data.php

Topographic Science

nationalmap.gov/viewer.html

The National Map: Viewer and Download Platform

Chris Donohue, GISP

FrankKnorr
New Contributor III

An other way with the extension 3D Analyst is:

1. Make a TIN with the contour lines. The contours are hard break lines in the TIN and every line must have an elevation.

2. From the TIN you can generate contour lines in several Intervalls.

0 Kudos