Map Journal - Map not displaying a service from our own Web Server

Jump to solution
07-31-2015 11:09 AM
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

I am using the hosted Story Map Journal template. On one section I have a map which loaded the Grey Canvas basemap with a dynamic service stored on our public facing server on top of it.

The web map with the Grey canvas service is shared with everyone and when viewed on its own everthing displays correctly. However, when I bring this map into the Map Journal template and view it only the base map loads and not the additional service.

If I open the web map on its own I can see in fiddler that it gets the service and displays it, however when using the map journal it never goes to get the service in fiddler.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

Ok I have figured it out.

Chrome was blocking "Unsafe Scripts" from running which prevented the service from loading,

Once I clicked in the address bar and loaded the unsafe scripts the Feature service loaded

thanks Gregory and Stephen for you help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry about your issue. Can you share a link to your application? Do you also experience the same issue in the Map Journal builder mode?

If you don't have the same issue in builder, you may want to check if the layer has an associated item, that the item is public.

0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

Hi Gregory,

This also happens in Builder mode. I don't have the application published right now so I am unable to share it but it is reproducible by the following steps

1. create a web map with an ESRI basemap, and a service from an external ArcGIS server

2. Start building a map journal

3. Add the orignal web map as a map in the Main stagge.

The service will not appear.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hey,

Is your ArcGIS server secured? Do you add it to the webmap using an item or just the URL?

If you could share a link to yoru service privately with me it would help a lot. Thanks

0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

Hi Gregory,

How do I private message you?

I add it using the item.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

When you hover my profile you should have a message button. Otherwise I added my email on my profile.

Could you try removing the layer and adding it by copy/pasting the URL of the MapService or FeatureService?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

It's interesting that you are the only connection I have that doesn't have the message option. Also I cannot see your email.

Here is the URL TestServices/TBD_DistanceRings (MapServer) I added it as a url from AGO.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

I tried replicating the steps you posted above to create a the web map and shared it into our map journal template. Everything seems to work for me. Can you see the test app and see if its what you wanted: http://arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=e7e6dbcde8c24e3ab2a93dfcf5522e0a​?

Are you still having this issue on your end? We might need the url in the app to see if errors are being thrown. It's possible that something was corrupted when saving your web map. Can you try recreating the web map with this layer in it?

0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III

Ok I have figured it out.

Chrome was blocking "Unsafe Scripts" from running which prevented the service from loading,

Once I clicked in the address bar and loaded the unsafe scripts the Feature service loaded

thanks Gregory and Stephen for you help

0 Kudos