Database connection fails when using db authentication, succeeds using OS

Jump to solution
07-29-2015 09:22 AM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

When i attempt to make a connection to a database on my SQL 2014 sever via Database connections in ArcCatalog using with db authentication i get the lovely "Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server Client...." error message. However this is incorrect as the client is up to date. I download and re-installed the 2014 Client.

Also when i use "OS Authentication" i can connect just fine.

Any thoughts?

ArcGIS 10.3, ArcGIS for Server 10.3, SQL 2014.

Edit:

The account in question is not a account in our AD just and account in the db

Edit 2:

here is the link where i got the latest version of SQL Native Client (Installing SQL Server Native Client)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Randall,

Is the OS user who can connect a member of the sysadmin server role?

If you right click on the database connection and choose properties and then the connections tab is this geodatabase currently accepting connections?

Was this database recently restored from a backup?

Are both the SQL Server Native Client and Microsoft ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server installed?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Randall,

Is your SQL Server instance configured to use Mixed-mode Authentication?  You can check this by right-clicking on the instance in SQL Server Management Studio > Properties > Security.  Ex:

screen1.PNG

RandallClark2

Hi jake,

Yes it is set up for mixed-mode authentication.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Randall,

Is the OS user who can connect a member of the sysadmin server role?

If you right click on the database connection and choose properties and then the connections tab is this geodatabase currently accepting connections?

Was this database recently restored from a backup?

Are both the SQL Server Native Client and Microsoft ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server installed?

RandallClark2

No the ODBC driver was not, Once i had that installed i was able to connect using both db authentication and OS authentication.

So i am assuming that both the native client and the ODBC drivers are needed then?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Randall,

Glad to hear you are able to connect now! The ODBC driver is for lack of a better word the "new" Native Client for SQL Server. Microsoft will not be putting out the Native Client anymore starting with SQL Server 2014.

The ODBC driver is only supported starting at 10.3 and in this case seemed to be required. You could remove the 2012 Native Client as a test and see if both are in fact required but I have not tested this myself yet.

If you are connecting to a SQL Server 2014 geodatabase from 10.2.2 or earlier the SQL Server 2012 Native Client is required.

Please let me know if there are any more questions

-- Katie
Geodata Support Analyst

RandallClark2

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your help i would never have figured out it was the ODBC driver.

As for testing it well so far it seems that you don't need it (SQL Native Client).

Thanks again