Bearing Distance to Line

Jump to solution
07-07-2015 07:27 AM
BenTaylor1
New Contributor

Hello all,

I am currently trying to plot a set of boat observation off the coast of a local island. The observer is at a fixed point and he recorded boat observations as a distance and bearing from his position. I found the tool "Bearing Distance to Line" which has the parameters I am looking for and it seemed like this would give me lines which I could then make points at the end of. When I use the tool it gives me an insanely long line which seems to have no logical correlation to the point of observation. Any help with this tool, or a suggestion for another tool would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached are two screen shots. x/y is in RI State Plane feet Nad 83.Capture22.JPGCapture33.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Change the Spatial Reference to the RI State Plane NAD 1983 projection that your x/y coordinates are based on, since your x/y make no sense in any other projection.  You would have to use lat/long coordinates if you use the GCS_WGS_1984 Spatial Reference. Also set the ID field parameter to your Name field so that each line is assigned the boat being observed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Change the Spatial Reference to the RI State Plane NAD 1983 projection that your x/y coordinates are based on, since your x/y make no sense in any other projection.  You would have to use lat/long coordinates if you use the GCS_WGS_1984 Spatial Reference. Also set the ID field parameter to your Name field so that each line is assigned the boat being observed.

BenTaylor1
New Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply! Seems obvious now but I was over looking it none-the-less. Thanks again!

0 Kudos