Select to view content in your preferred language

EDN license

Jump to solution
06-26-2015 08:44 AM
shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor

If I get EDN license can I publish arcgis service that will be used by another developers.

And also If we 4 developers building application based arcgis server and javascript apis. How many licences we need. How the database will be used database. We are using SQL server.

I heard it is same like Arcgis server but with different license type. So eventually I want to confirm that all the functionalities that are provided by ArcGIS server will be in EDN license also?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Short answer, yes.   Assuming you set up the server in the same way, the EDN services are the same as production services.  Or at least I have found no differences.  So, if your other EDN developers have permissions to the machine that the software is installed, everything should work the same.  We have on dev/EDN server that two of us share.  We have it set up the same as the production, including with web adapters.  So, technically, they can be set up to match you production workflow.

btw, I use our EDN server to test our service updates to services, and to create our caches, then i can update the production at a non-peak time.  We can also use those service with our web development before we create the service on production....that is, we can get the bugs out on the dev service first.

...and of course, remember that EDN doesn't include desktop....im assuming you know that, but others reading this thread may not.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Shafi, you would want to talk to your customer service rep or esri distributor for the the legal specifics Re EDN licensing.

But based on my understanding,  each developer would have to have their own EDN  subscription, which are renewed annually.  Services created and published using the EDN arcgis server setup are not to be used for production or public consumption, you will need a full AGS license for that.  I would think a full AGS license would also be needed for creating SDE databases for production, but if you have a production license, there is nothing that stops you from spinning up some development versions/databases for the developers to use.

also based on my knowledge , there is a staging license available that wouldn't  be limited to just those with EDN licenses.....for our agency, it seems like the tipping point for that investment vs individual EDN licenses is when you start getting about 5-6 EDN licenses.....but that may differ depending on your agency and situation.

for background on my situation.....in U.S., no enterprise license agreement, currently we have two EDN developers that are the only ones allowed to develop on our dev machine (others would have to go straight to production, which isn't recommended).   

EDN actually gives you all the extensions to be able to test, and in our situation, there are some that are available thru EDN but not in our production.....so keep that in ​mind if you find a good feature on the EDN , you may have to purchase more for your production to take advantage.  But again, each customer is different, so talk to you rep or distributer.

Hope this helps.

shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Rebecca for detailed answer please bear with me.

For production purpose we have full arcgis server. but here I'm talking about EDN only. My question is does EDN arcgis server licences provides same type of functionalities that arcgis server in production will provide. Like if I publish a service using EDN,  will it be available to all EDN developers.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Short answer, yes.   Assuming you set up the server in the same way, the EDN services are the same as production services.  Or at least I have found no differences.  So, if your other EDN developers have permissions to the machine that the software is installed, everything should work the same.  We have on dev/EDN server that two of us share.  We have it set up the same as the production, including with web adapters.  So, technically, they can be set up to match you production workflow.

btw, I use our EDN server to test our service updates to services, and to create our caches, then i can update the production at a non-peak time.  We can also use those service with our web development before we create the service on production....that is, we can get the bugs out on the dev service first.

...and of course, remember that EDN doesn't include desktop....im assuming you know that, but others reading this thread may not.

shafitrumboo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply It was helpfull

0 Kudos