Who Is Using My REST?!

06-12-2015 09:22 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Alright...

Surely I'm not the ONLY person wanting to know the answer to this.

I am slowly inventorying all of our web maps, GIS applications, etc. that utilize our REST Services on our ArcGIS Servers. But we have civic hackers, local web developers, etc. that are using our services for various maps and/or mapping apps and I'm wondering if there isn't someway to discover or list out all applications that are consuming our REST Services?

Anyone?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Brian,

I recommend using a free program called Fiddler which can log traffic to and from the server.  Just install it on your ArcGIS Server machine, set it to capture traffic and you will have a log of all requests for your REST services, including where those requests are coming from.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

You may also find some useful tools in Esri's System Monitor:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=848f48b0f88e4de7a036377197453efe

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

One thing that is helpful is you can disable the REST Services directory.  See the below link for more info:

Disabling the Services Directory—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

We're City Government working with our Local Open Data group so disabling isn't something we're aiming at. We're running a webadaptor and working on setting up a private / internal webadaptor to obscure any REST Services we don't want used for public consumption. But thanks.

0 Kudos