AnsweredAssumed Answered

Scale-dependent generalization

Question asked by msubeer on Jun 2, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 by jmward

I have a map service optimization question and did not seem to find an answer, hoping the community can help me!: 

I have a watershed layer that I would like to publish as a map service.  This data was digitized at a 1:4000 scale, which means there is an over-abundance of vertices within this file.  I also want to display this data at many scales.  At a very large scale (1:4000) the server would not have to process a lot of information.  However, at a very small scale (something like a state-wide scale), the service would be processing a lot and the service is going to draw incredibly slow. 

So my question is how to optimize the service for these two scales?  The only thing I can think of is to produce a generalized version of the watershed layer that is visible at small scales (state-wide views) and switch over to using the detailed original view once I have zoomed in close.

Is this the best route? Is this the only route? Or is there generalization capabilities built into ArcServer that I am not aware of to handle Scale-dependent generalization? 

Thanks ESRI Community!  See you at the user conference

Jeffrey

Outcomes