Limit widget availability to specific users

05-11-2015 11:56 AM
DouglasGuess
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to limit widget availability to specific users?  With my old Flex app, I was able to control access to our site via a login screen.  Our internal site was essentially the same as our public site, just with more widgets.  Those with log-ins unique to our department were granted access to the site.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle widget access within a wab application.  I would like to continue to use a log-in page but not sure if it's doable or if there is a better way.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChadRicks
New Contributor III

I have some edit web applications that only some users in our systems active directory can access. The web.config allows a comma separated listed of allowed users

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration>

<location>

<system.web>

<authorization>

<allow users="DOMAIN\USER,DOMAIN\USER,DOMAIN\USER"/>

<deny users="*"/>

</authorization>

</system.web>

</location>

</configuration>

asp.net - web.config in folder allowing all or no user authentication - Stack Overflow

DouglasGuess
Occasional Contributor

Actually, what I decided to do is create a group in agol, assign users to that group, then only share the webmap used in the wab application to that group.  That way, only the users within that group will have access to the app.  For what I need, this seemed to be the easiest solution.

Thanks

JunshanLiu
Occasional Contributor III

You can create an specific app for a specific user group(it's very easy in builder, just duplicate an app, then add/remove some widgets), then navigate user to correct app depends on their logins in your login page.

Does this solution work for you?