Move/Copy Services to another Service Directory

Jump to solution
05-04-2015 08:10 AM
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm currently using ArcGIS for Server 10.2 and am wondering if there is an easy way to copy or move services with the Server Manager from one service directory to another?  I've looked through the help files and here on GeoNet, but I haven't found an answer yet.

For simplicity's sake I want to take SERVICE1, which is located in ROOT/FOLDER1 and move it to ROOT/FOLDER2.  Can this be done?

Thanks!

Todd

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tvchambers
New Contributor II

Have you looked at AGS's working copying of the map document? In your case it should be located here: C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\FOLDER1\SERVICE1.MapServer\extracted\v101\SERVICE1.mxd

Also, even though you're using 10.2, that last subfolder will still be named v101

Good luck!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I've never found an easy way to move a service....I typically just recreate it in the new folder (you may need to delete the original first in manager).    However, if you have a cache that goes with it, that is easy to move and reconnect to the new service.  That's as each as renaming the old cache folder to folder the naming of the new services....then restarting the service. 

but I too would be interested in seeing if anyone has an easy way to do this in Server Manager.  (might be better automated with Python)

ToddBlanchette

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your response!  I agree there should be an easy way to do this - but it seems like something they forgot to include.  Even just a little drag down box that says: Move to [Service Folder].  I don't have a cache associated with it, it's just a simple feature service that I can't be bothered with the amount of time it would take me to recreate it (don't have the original mxd/symbology).  I just wanted to move it to an archival folder, but I might just end up deleting it anyways!

Todd

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

hmmm.  without the original mxd/symbology that wouldn't be a lot of fun.  You might try talking with tech support...they may have a non-support jury rig way of doing it.  Seems there is always a way....but sure wouldn't want to mess with it without a good back up.   

0 Kudos
tvchambers
New Contributor II

Have you looked at AGS's working copying of the map document? In your case it should be located here: C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\FOLDER1\SERVICE1.MapServer\extracted\v101\SERVICE1.mxd

Also, even though you're using 10.2, that last subfolder will still be named v101

Good luck!

ToddBlanchette

Although it appears I can't move/copy it, your answer allowed me to open up an MXD with the proper symbology set, so THANK YOU SO MUCH! Saves me a bunch of time in republishing the service, so this will solve my problem for now.

ESRI: If you're reading this, please include a way to copy/move services from the Server Manager! Thanks!

Todd

ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

In theory as long as you stop your whole server site, move a services folders in the server configuration location and restart your site you should be fine. Granted I haven't tried this exactly but I've moved all the service folders out to an archive and added them back how they were before and it all came up without issue. The two folders you need to look at are '\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput' and '\config-store\services'.

0 Kudos
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

As said in another topic you can do that manually but we try to avoid human action as much as possible.

Then we developped some tools to do that for us

eea/discomap.ServiceTransferTool · GitHub

In your case if you stay on the same server I would

1) Transfer to a temp place

2) Delete old service

3) Transfer back at the good palce

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

Does your Transfer Tool support ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1?

0 Kudos
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Yes!

0 Kudos