HEC-GeoRAS functions missing

11-02-2010 11:24 AM
Labels (1)
GuangliZhang
New Contributor
Got a rather weird problem here:

The HEC-GeoRAS function "Floodplain Delineation Using TINs" does not show up (faded out) in the toolbar.

My ArcGIS version is 9.3.1 Build 3500
HEC-GeoRAS is 4.3.93 for ArcGIS9.3 from the ftp site.

And I made sure there is the .NET Framework in the machine and the ArcGIS has .NET support, as reminded by the "Readme10252010-Esri" document.

I have the required 3D extension on. Just could not think of anything that cause the problem.

Wondered if anyone sees the same? Thanks for any thought.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
I believe things are fine, my installation behaves the same way. It just is that you need to create your Water Surface TINs from the RAS GIS export files first. Once they exist in the map session the "Floodplain Delineation Using TINs" will activate and you'll be presented with a selection tool to choose the set to work with.

Stuart
0 Kudos
GuangliZhang
New Contributor
Thanks Stuart,

I double checked it, but it did not work. Processed as this:

Set up the layers with a TIN as terrain
Import RAS Data
Generate the Water Surface

After the "t PF1" TIN showed up in the map session, the tool bar for "Floodplain Delineation Using TINs " is still not available.

But the funny thing is: At this point, I hit the option "Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters " and it did exactly what I wanted - It converted the TINs and got the floodplain.

Recall the previous GeoRAS versions had only one toolbars as "Floodplain Delineation", which based on the Layer Setup to process with either a TIN or raster. It is so strange to see the 9.3 version suppose to have two options, but one would not show up while the other doing both jobs.

Also, I don't understand your toolbar would be activated after the water surface TIN generated, but mine is not.  And someone confirmed with me their toolbars are just fine all the time. It got to be something wrong. But what is it?

Guangli
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Guangli,

You are correct.  My apologies, as I did not actually throw together a RAS project to verify the Inundation Mapping --> Floodplain Delineation using TINs was working.  And while my 3D Analyst extension is activated, my "Delineation using TINs" menu also remains grayed out.

In fact the program Help file and v 4.2.93 user manual still shows the old Floodplain Delineation --> GRID Intersection.  Which thinking about it is what I understand the active Floodplain Delineation using Raster should do--e.g. difference the TINs into a GRID (raster) of depth with a polygonal boundary--the resulting d and b prefixed layers.

So guess it could be a pending feature--not yet activated, or documented--to delineate the floodplain and depth out as TIN data. Guess we'll have to wait for the development team to finish things up.

Stuart
0 Kudos
TroyDorman
New Contributor
Guangli,

The functionality has been missing for several revision of ArcGIS. There are issues with the routines for calculating the intersection of the water surface tin with the ground tin.
0 Kudos
JeffLee
New Contributor II
Hi Guangli;

How are you doing?
0 Kudos