Help troubleshooting da.UpdateCursor - No error, but is not updating rows

Jump to solution
04-22-2015 10:15 AM
RachaelJohnson
Occasional Contributor

As the title says, I am using arcpy.da.UpdateCursor() and I can't get it to update the rows.  My code is below.  (Yes, I know I am still working with a nested cursor... I haven't decided if a dictionary is the right way to go for my purposes yet.  That's for another topic.)

fields = ["SOIL", "MAX_SLOPE", "MIN_CDA", "MAX_CDA", "WT_SEP", "WT_RELAX",
             "COAST_SEP", "MIN_DEPTH", "DEPTH_RELA", "COAST_MIN_", "BMP", "MOD"]
for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(combo_table, ["DARAS", "HSG", "MEDSLOPE", "MEDWT"]):
     print("Saving constraint table for DA " + str(row[0]) + " and HSG " + str(row[1]) + "...")
     arcpy.Copy_management(compare, BMPFold + "\\" + "DA" + str(row[0]) + "HSG" + str(row[1]))
     arcpy.AddField_management(BMPFold + "\\" + "DA" + str(row[0]) + "HSG" + str(row[1]), "MOD", "TEXT", "", "", 25)
     with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(BMPFold + "\\" + "DA" + str(row[0]) + "HSG" + str(row[1]), fields) as cursor:
             for r in cursor:
                 # Compare water table depths
                 if r[4] + r[7] > row[3]:
                      if r[5] == 1:
                           coast_WT = r[6]
                      else:
                           coast_WT = r[4]
                       if r[8] == 1:
                           coast_depth = r[9]
                       else:
                          coast_depth = r[7]
                       if coast_WT + coast_depth < row[3]:
                            if r[5] == 1 and r[8] == 1:
                                   r[11] = "Separation and Depth"
                                   print("Modifying " + str(r[11]) + "allows for " + str(r[10]) + "...")
                            elif r[5] == 1:
                                    r[11] = "WT Separation"
                            elif r[8] == 1:
                                     r[11] = "Practice Depth"
                           cursor.updateRow(r)
                       if coast_WT + coast_depth > row[3]:
                            print("Removing " + str(r[10]) + " from DA " + str(row[0]) +
                                      " HSG " + str(row[1]) +" based on water table proximity...")
                            cursor.deleteRow()

As the title states, I am not getting any errors when I run this code.  When I open my file, the "MOD" field is blank for all rows still.  My print statements are not printing before or after the r[11] = "TEXT" line even when they are modified to exclude calling r[11].  They worked at one point while I was getting errors with cursor.updateRow() but now there's nothing.  My last print statement works, "Removing ..." though. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachaelJohnson
Occasional Contributor

Oh no... I wish I could delete stuff from here so I can hide my shame.

I changed the operator at one point and it wasn't updating anything because there wasn't anything to update. :X  The main IF statement was always false.  Sorry for wasting your time, everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cursor.update row...line 29 needs to have its spacing adjusted it is improperly indented (either in or out...can't tell)

0 Kudos
RachaelJohnson
Occasional Contributor

I've tried moving it all around and I did it again to be sure.  Still nothing.   If it needs to be on the same level of indentation as the elif statement above it, it's in the right spot. 

0 Kudos
RachaelJohnson
Occasional Contributor

Oh no... I wish I could delete stuff from here so I can hide my shame.

I changed the operator at one point and it wasn't updating anything because there wasn't anything to update. :X  The main IF statement was always false.  Sorry for wasting your time, everyone.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rachael, just FYI, if you created the question/discussion, you should be able to erase it all...if you really want.  it should ease from that point down...so erase the original question if you really "want to hide your shame"​

0 Kudos