AnsweredAssumed Answered

Kernel Interpolation with Barriers -- barrier restrictions and algorithm used

Question asked by kawilkinson on Apr 20, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 by kawilkinson

Hello,

I am interested in learning more about the Kernel Interpolation with Barriers tool provided by the ArcGIS 10.x software.  Upon review of the ESRI help files and webpage discussions, I am left with a few questions regarding this tool and was hoping someone could provide some insight:

1.       Are there restrictions as to the complexity of the barrier?  For example, I have used the adeHabitatHR package in Program R which uses an algorithm suggested by Benhamou and Cornelis (2010), but the input boundary has 2 constraints:

1. “The boundary should be defined as the union of several segments, and each segment length should at least be equal to 3xh, where h is the smoothing parameter used for kernel smoothing;
    2. The angle between two successive line segments should be greater than π/2 or lower than –π/2”

It is unclear from the help files if the Kernel Interpolation with Barriers tool in ArcGIS has similar requirements for the input barrier, or if all barrier shapefiles are acceptable.  I am working with a fairly complex coastline.

2.       The Kernel Interpolation with Barriers help file indicates: “The absolute feature barrier employs a non-Euclidean distance approach rather than a line-of-sight approach.”  Which non-Euclidean distance approach does the barrier feature utilize?

Much thanks in advance!

Krystan

Outcomes