Swipe Map with image

04-19-2015 08:58 PM
jaredpilbeam
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to create a swipe map using an old scanned image of town over a basemap. Using 10.2.2 I georeferenced the image to a basemap, rectified it as a TIFF. I then created a map package. This is where I'm stuck. I read you cannot add map packages to an AGOL map, so how do I create my swipe map if you can't import an image to AGOL either?

I guess I'm sort of confused as to what steps to take in desktop ArcMap after georeferencing. Do I need to create a shapefile from this point on? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Where do you read that you can't add an image or map package? I see them both listed here: What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jared,

You can upload map packages to ArcGIS Online like Sephe pointed out, but that just stores the map package file itself on the web so that that others can download the map package itself and use it in Desktop.

It sounds like you want to add the image in your map document to a web map and share it as part of a story map. In this case, you should publish the map document with your TIFF from ArcMap as a hosted tile serviceThis help topic has more information on how to complete this process.

You can either build your tiles using ArcMap on your desktop or let ArcGIS Online do it for you. If you let ArcGIS Online build the tiles you may consume credits. The help topic I referenced has information on both workflows.

Once you have a tile service in ArcGIS Online you can add it to a web map and share that in the swipe story map app.

Hope this help!
Owen

(I'm going to move this thread to the ArcGIS Online space since the question itself relates to hosted services rather than story maps.)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Oh thanks for that explanation Owen. I was a bit confused myself as to how that works in ArcGIS Online after I started looking further for the answer to Jared's question. The help files weren't super clear or easy to navigate.

jaredpilbeam
New Contributor II

@ Sephe: I was referring to the message in the Add Data window when trying to import data to AGOL.

@ Owen: Thanks for the reply. After building the tiles on the Desktop I was able to publish the layer in AGOL. This was only possible, I realized, after removing the basemap from the ArcMap table of contents. Before I removed it I couldn't get past the Analyze step because the basemap was causing an error.

But then I ran into more problems as you can see here. The georeferenced image isn't legible and a good 1/3 of it is cut off (a section that would be on the west side of the river). And when zoomed in part of the image goes away. Actually, after downloading the image from the primary source and adding it to ArcMap it lost some of its clarity. I don't even know if that can be avoided?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos