AnsweredAssumed Answered

Natural Language Parsing of Dates into Calendar Date Format

Question asked by phoenixar on Apr 18, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 by phoenixar

What are good python code samples/libraries that I could use to parse the Natural Language Parsing of Recurring dates that are in string value (eg. Not Posted, Both Sides Even Month 2nd Thu) into quantified values such as a calendar date (example: "16/04/2015")?

Objective:

I want to parse a data field in a street sweeping schedule data table.  The data field contains recurring dates in the natural language: eg. "Not Posted, Both Sides Even Month 2nd Thu" into a numerical data format for further processing in the Field Calculator.

street sweeping schedule.png

The output field that I want to create will tell me the "x number of days since street was last swept".

Purpose:

I wish to statistically study whether there is a correlation between street sweeping and the coastal water quality values.  I have the water quality data in the form of on-site collected data and satellite remote sensed data, but in order to examine the correlation between these two variables, I'll need to parse the aforementioned data field with a given a "sample date".

Input output:

"water data collection date" > python parsing tool > "x number of days since street was last swept"

This code will be available for public use on GitHub:

Python code on GitHub: phoenixar/StreetSweepingScheduleParser · GitHub

I am new to GitHub and python coding, so please contact me via reply to this discussion thread.

Please feel free to start "issue threads" on GitHub!

Message was edited by: Dan Patterson Edited to form a discussion

Outcomes