Does Web Tier Authentication add to Request time to ArcGIS Server?

04-16-2015 11:50 AM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

We have an internal ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 that is using Web Tire Authentication on all map services.    It seems that it take longer to complete the request than it does on our external server which allows anonymous access to its services.  This is true on both our Tiled and dynamic services. We can use the IE and Chrome developer tools to see how long the requests are taking and it is a noticeable difference.   The response is pretty rapid in both installations so this lead me to look at whether the Web Tier authentication was the culprit.

There are many other factors and variables in play,  the external machine is a physical box, while the internal is a VM box and their storage locations are different but I wanted to see if others had experienced the same time of latency in requests that we have.

If you have experienced this type of latency with web tier authentication requests to ArcGIS Server please let me know how you improved performance.

One thought we had was to grant public access to the Tiled services, base maps, aerials,  etc. and use Web Tier on the services that really need it.    I understand that this can be done by adding another web adaptor to the existing site and allowing anonymous access but I am not ready to change configurations just yet.

Thanks,

Mele

0 Kudos
0 Replies