New with coding for ArcMap

Jump to solution
04-13-2015 02:46 PM
AdamReeder
New Contributor

Hi -

I have a table that has a variety of average rock properties in a bunch of locations by geologic zone from different years.

I have created several different layers that show one specific property each:

Data_NPHIAVG_ZONE

Data_TEMPMAX_ZONE

Data_RESAVG_ZONE, etc

As well as a Natural Neighbor interpolated map for one of the layers

What I would like to do is create a toolbar with dropdowns that will allow myself and others to select a specific zone (zone1, zone2, zone3, etc), a specific rock property (nphi, temp, res) and a specific year (2013, 2014, 2015) which will then apply the appropriate definition query to all the relevant layers and create the interpolated map for whichever rock property is selected.

I have seen sample codes that mostly fit what I am trying to do, but I have had no luck in modifying to my purpose in ArcMap 10. I am not very familiar with coding in ArcMap so learning has been slow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered using Python instead? There is a lot less code needed when using Python as opposed to to ArcObjects and VBA will eventually disappear (although they have been saying this for years now...). Using Python will be more future-proof and functionality will probably be compatible with ArcGIS Pro.

If so you may want to consider moving your question to the Python space and provide some useful tags (Tagging Content ) in order to get more responses.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered using Python instead? There is a lot less code needed when using Python as opposed to to ArcObjects and VBA will eventually disappear (although they have been saying this for years now...). Using Python will be more future-proof and functionality will probably be compatible with ArcGIS Pro.

If so you may want to consider moving your question to the Python space and provide some useful tags (Tagging Content ) in order to get more responses.

AdamReeder
New Contributor

Good suggestions. Thanks Xander

0 Kudos