3D Scene in Story Journal

Jump to solution
04-08-2015 02:33 PM
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to build a Story Map Journal using a 3D scene, such as Mountains of Fire (http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=88bc1081e58f4a7bb60e9ddf39189701 )

I managed to get the Scene into the Story Journal and to get the Scene banner to disappear, however I cant seem to zoom to the location of the different pictures in the Journal Panel.  Do I need to create a Web Scene for each picture/video location (about 35 pics/vids is what i have) and put the URL to each scene in with the panel sections?....or is their a way to zoom the map to each section of a single scene as the user scrolls?

Or

Is this functionality doable in the downloaded version of Story Map Journal (I do have the downloaded configurable version pointing to my app ID)

Having 35 web scenes zoomed to 35 different locations seems a long-way to do this.

Thanks! Really cool app idea.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

Glad that this Map Journal inspired you to do your own.

Yes unfortunately you will have to create a scene for every location you want. The Web Scene Viewer does not have yet the ability to position the camera (or use the slide/bookmark that you can configure) through URL parameters. This will come in a further release, maybe for the July release.

We will work on fully integrating 3D in StoryMaps as soon as the ArcGIS API for JavaScript is released.

So it will just be like choosing the location on a 2D map.

Stay tuned and good luck in the meantime

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

Glad that this Map Journal inspired you to do your own.

Yes unfortunately you will have to create a scene for every location you want. The Web Scene Viewer does not have yet the ability to position the camera (or use the slide/bookmark that you can configure) through URL parameters. This will come in a further release, maybe for the July release.

We will work on fully integrating 3D in StoryMaps as soon as the ArcGIS API for JavaScript is released.

So it will just be like choosing the location on a 2D map.

Stay tuned and good luck in the meantime