What is the difference between ArcEngine for .NET and ArcGIS Desktop Runtime SDK for .NET

Jump to solution
03-25-2015 12:54 PM
CharlesComstock
New Contributor

Hi,

I apologize up front for my ignorance.  10 years ago I developed with ArcEngine to be able to have ArcGIS in a stand alone windows application.  Now I see ArcGIS Runtime for SDK .NET.  Is this a replacement?

Would someone please point me to documentation or enlighten me to the differences?

thank you so much,

Chuck

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

You have correctly identified that the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is the successor to the ArcGIS Engine developer kit. The links Kishor provided above contain useful information and are worth reading.

Do you have a list of requirements / specs you need to deliver in an app and can post those here? If so, I and others on geonet can respond to them and highlight what's in the Runtime, what's out of the Runtime, and what's on the roadmap.

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CharlesComstock
New Contributor

Thank you Kishor!  I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

You have correctly identified that the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is the successor to the ArcGIS Engine developer kit. The links Kishor provided above contain useful information and are worth reading.

Do you have a list of requirements / specs you need to deliver in an app and can post those here? If so, I and others on geonet can respond to them and highlight what's in the Runtime, what's out of the Runtime, and what's on the roadmap.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
CharlesComstock
New Contributor

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification.  If a company already owns multiple ArcGIS Advanced licenses can a runtime application take advantage of those?  ArcEngine used to (does it still)?  I'm not sure anyone here would want to purchase additional licenses.

I am investigating this to be able to make recommendations of technology for future projects.  Once I get details/requirements of a standalone project. I will post back here.

I appreciate your help and guidance,

Chuck

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Chuck,

Actually there is a similar concept which may work for you... the ArcGIS Runtime cannot be licensed directly with "ArcGIS Advanced licenses" as was the case for ArcGIS Engine. Instead, licensing of ArcGIS Runtime applications is achieved via one of two routes:

1. An organizational account on ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS (on premises or private cloud)

2. A license code from a purchased pack of licenses.

The good news is that if your ArcGIS for Desktop licenses (you mentioned "ArcGIS Advanced" above) are in maintenance then you may be able to claim a free organizational account, which would mean you could effectively license your Runtime apps because you have the desktop license, i.e. similar concept as for Engine but the technology has moved on. These free subs are renewed annually when you renew your maintenance. To find out if you qualify, you should contact your Esri account manager / distributor. If you license your apps this way, your users will need to log into ArcGIS Online every 30 days in order to renew the license.

If your app needs to be disconnected, or the 'named user' licensing model doesn't work for you, then you can purchase packs of licenses. In this scenario you get one license code/string to embed in your app and you reuse that code in each deployment of that app. If you exceed the initial number purchased, you just buy more and keep deploying.

For more info see License your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos