ArcPy Bug?

03-14-2015 01:48 PM
NickEubank
New Contributor

Hi All,

Don't know if this is the place to put this, but can't find a better venue!

I think I found a bug in the ArcPy CalculateField command that causes iPython to hang. I wrote about it here: arcgis desktop - arcpy, CalculateField: 'geoprocessing sys.stdout object' object has no attribute 'f...

Any advice on how to "submit" this to the arcpy team?

Thanks!

Nick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you try changing the expression type to PYTHON_9.3 or is there a reason that you want the older geoprocessor object?

0 Kudos
NickEubank
New Contributor

Hi Dan -- thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, the result appears is the same: I still get the same error.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version of iPython are you using?  I am running iPython 3.0.0 with ArcGIS 10.3, and I am able to use arcpy.CalculateField_management without any errors.  There were 11 flush-related issues closed in iPython 3.0.0, maybe this was related to one of them.

0 Kudos
NickEubank
New Contributor

I had been using 2.3, but just tried upgrading to 3.0.0 and am still having the issue.

I should also add I'm in Python 2.7.6. Did they update arcpy? (Also, any idea how to check arcpy version information? The module lacks a __version__ attribute...)

0 Kudos
NickEubank
New Contributor

Looks like arcpy was updated for 10.3 -- maybe they caught the problem?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcPy versions are really tied to the underlying ArcGIS for Desktop, Engine, Server, etc... application that is installed.  The GetInstallInfo (arcpy) function will let you know which application the currently loaded arcpy package is pointing to along with a bunch of other information, including version.

>>> import arcpy
>>> arcpy.GetInstallInfo()['Version']
u'10.3'

Looking at the ArcGIS 10.3 Issues Addressed List, nothing jumps out at me for CalclateField_management or ArcPy that would seem related to this issue.  That said, sometimes bugs get addressed indirectly as the result of a different bug being addressed directly, i.e., not every issue that gets addressed with a new release ends up in the Issues Addressed List.

Looking at your StackExchange post, it appears you are using Enthought Canopy for Python package deployment.  I am also wondering if it might be a configuration issue tied to how iPython is being pushed your machine with ArcGIS installed.

0 Kudos