EXCEL input to ArcPro?

Jump to solution
03-05-2015 11:29 AM
ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

It does not seem like EXCEL files are a valid in ArcPro, such as adding X-Y data.  I admit that I have just started to explore ArcPro but the only spreadsheet-like input seem to be a table, which I assume is a geoodatabase table.

What am I missing?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

Jake,

Thanks for the bad news. I hope that this will be something like the command line in ArcGIS and be added sooner rather later. This alone may keep people away from ArcPro until resolved.

Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Take a look at this thread:

Adding an Excel Table to ArcGIS Pro... is it possible?

I don't believe this functionality is available yet.

0 Kudos
ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

Jake,

Thanks for the bad news. I hope that this will be something like the command line in ArcGIS and be added sooner rather later. This alone may keep people away from ArcPro until resolved.

Thomas

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Currently, you won't want to look at ArcGIS Pro as a replacement for ArcMap.  Take a look at this link:

ArcGIS Pro Common Questions

screen1.png

0 Kudos
Jean-GuyChauvin
Occasional Contributor

How about going to the ESRI's Ideas website and voting on one such idea at https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E0000000CwhN&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D0... ?

0 Kudos
ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

What happened to ideas.arcgis.com?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Still there and working.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas - one possible workflow to use:

• Use the Excel to Table GP tool in Pro.
  • Work with the converted table that's stored in the Geodatabase.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Robert LeClair

Esri-Denver

0 Kudos
ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

Robert,

i understand that I can convert from EXCEL to a GDB table.  The point is that we receive many data files in EXCEL and with Arc desktop we can use them directly without the extra step to convert.

I also understand that Pro is not yet Desktop.  Maybe in version 2 or 3...

By the way, there are many other common Desktop functions that are currently absent from Pro.  Perhaps someday.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas - you are correct that ArcGIS Pro 1.0 is not complete.  The Pro Development team is working hard for the next release 1.1 this summer and 1.2 later.  Each subsequent release will bring further enhancements to the software, stability fixes, and new functionality.  I would think the Excel issue will be addressed in a future release.