Creating Database View Using ArcMap 10.1 GP Tool

Jump to solution
02-26-2015 08:14 AM
IanEvans3
New Contributor

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can confirm behaviour with using the GP Tool within ArcMap 10.1 for creating a database view.

After running the GP tool, and it sucessfully running, I can now see the view within the SDE database connection. I can drag this into ArcMap, and see the data both spatially and the attribute table. However, if I try and interact with it spatially, such clicking on it with the identify tool then the identify tool does not return a result.

My questions are:

- Is this the expected behaviour?

- And if so, how do I fix this?

I have read other posts regarding regsitering it with SDE etc, but just want to check I am getting the right end of the stick before I ask our DBA to do anything for us.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Due to the extreme limitations of the interface (eliminating all JOIN clauses), 'sdetable -o create_view' should only be used when the geometry storage is SDEBINARY/SDELOB.

Best practice it to create the view elsewhere (as in the GP tool, or via SQL), then use 'sdelayer -o register' to make the view accessible as a simple feature class.

Note that registration will fail if the view does not have a unique, non-zero, positive 32-bit integer column on which to base a USER-set registered rowid column, or if more than one topology class is present (e.g., point and poly).

- V

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

This is  known issue.  The work around to create views is to use the SDE Command line tools.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Which database are you using (Oracle, SQL Server, ....)?

Also as Tina suggested, try creating the View using SDE Commandline tool (sdetable -o create_view) and then check the behaviour.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Due to the extreme limitations of the interface (eliminating all JOIN clauses), 'sdetable -o create_view' should only be used when the geometry storage is SDEBINARY/SDELOB.

Best practice it to create the view elsewhere (as in the GP tool, or via SQL), then use 'sdelayer -o register' to make the view accessible as a simple feature class.

Note that registration will fail if the view does not have a unique, non-zero, positive 32-bit integer column on which to base a USER-set registered rowid column, or if more than one topology class is present (e.g., point and poly).

- V

IanEvans3
New Contributor

Great, thanks for the support.

I think the idea of us creating the view using the GP Tool and then registering it sounds like a sensible approach for us.

Thanks again everyone!

0 Kudos