multiple Google Earth imagery exports using Python?

02-10-2015 04:51 PM
CrystalSchiffbauer-Bowles1
New Contributor III

Hello GeoNet Community. I have another challenge...

We are working on a project in which "my biologists" need to be able to analyze natural features for a VERY large area. I have about 300 tiles (exported to kml) that I use for my mapbook data driven pages at a 400' scale. We are using GE imagery because it has imagery from various years and months, which we need. I think we could get away with a 1000ft scale, but either way, it would be ideal for us to be able to use the GE imagery as jpgs at our defined scale/s...

the question is: does anyone know of a python script that would export the imagery to jpgs based on my tiles? I am not an great Python-er yet and really have no idea where to start with this. I appreciate any help/direction/references.

Thanks so much!

Crystal.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

To access your map document and be able to export it out, you would need to use the arcpy.mapping module.

It is fairly easy to export out your data view and set a scale for the dataframe, I guess my question would be do you have a kml for each tile, or are they one large dataset?  If they are a large dataset, you would need to probably make an index(grid) shapefile and you could have the script loop over each box in the grid zoom to it then export out the data view.

If you are still needing help with this, if you could give a little more info, and the workflow you are needing, that would be great.  I have a similar script for something like this where some of my co-workers need georeferenced imagery for autocad with arcgis layers saved to the dataview and they select the polygon they need by the ID number, I could give you a good starter script to work off of.

CrystalSchiffbauer-Bowles1
New Contributor III

Thank you for your comments, Ian. Because we needed fast turn around, we are doing a different method. But to answer your questions: I have a single kml containing the nearly 300 grids, each with a Unique ID and set to a 400' scale. This would still be good knowledge and ability to have and I would appreciate some help. Let me know if there is more information you need.

I appreciate your help!

Regards,

Crystal.

0 Kudos