ArcGIS Pro 1.0 constantly crashes

Jump to solution
02-06-2015 03:42 AM
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Hey everybody,

I installed ArcGIS Pro 1.0 on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit machine yesterday an started playing around with it.

Unfortunately it always crashes. After some time I get the message "ArcGIS Pro is not working anymore" and then it shuts down.

I got a feeling, that that always happenes when I try to do something referred to Analysis (e.g. Opening the Analysis Tab).

Have any errors like that been reported already?

Are there any logfiles or other places where I could find further information about this issue?

I have ArcGIS 10.3 installed as well and that works perfectly. I have both python versions 2.7 and 3.4 installed.

Must be some kind of software conflict, since I got pretty good hardware. 

Thanks in advance,

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy and Drew,

thank you for your support. The hint with the environment variables was very helpful.

In my case the problem was not caused by the PYTHONPATH variable but by PYTHONHOME.

PYTHONHOME was pointing to a different Python installation (C:\OSGeo4W\apps\python27).

Removing PYTHONHOME did the trick. Luckily Python 2.7 keeps on running as well so far.

Still, I think the error messaging for ArcGIS Pro could be improved.

It´s always difficult to find the problem if a program crashes without any message.

"Python is not working!" could help a lot already.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin,

I conferred with a few folks here and they suggested this can happen if Python is not installed. Can you take a look in Control Panel->Programs and Features and see if you see Python in the list?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin,

You mentioned you have Python 3.4 installed -- is this the "Python 3.4.1 for ArcGIS Pro" installation that is described here or an installation you downloaded and installed from python.org??

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy and Drew,

thank you for your responses. I thought as well, that this could come from the python Installation but I´m using the version coming with ArcGIS Pro (see attachment):

Python.JPG

Could it be a conflict between python versions?

Thanks,

Martin

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Martin,

Can you check your system environment variables for a PYTHONPATH variable and report the value if that key exists?

To get to environment variables:

1. hit windows keyboard key + pause key to open System dialog

2. On the left side of the window hit "Advanced system settings"

3. on the bottom of the dialog that opens click "Environment variables..."

3. Look in both the user and system variables for PYTHONPATH

0 Kudos
MollyJackson
New Contributor III

I am having the same issues as Martin--same computer setup (windows 7 professional, sp1 64-bit, Python 3.4.1 for ArcGIS Pro). ArcGIS Pro crashes virtually every time I open it, nearly immediately. I've checked that all my system requirements are met, and they all check out.

I followed these instructions to check the environment variables and can see nothing related to PYTHONPATH in either the user or system variables.

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Molly and Martin,

can you take a look in your C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Support directory and find a file called ArcGISPro.pth?  open it in a text editor and copy/paste the contents here.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
MollyJackson
New Contributor III

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This is interesting...starting in one of the later Pro betas, the default install directory was changed to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro.

Will you check what your install directory is please?

Also, there is another pth file at C:\Python34\Lib\site-packages\ArcGISPro.pth, please let us know the contents of this file.

0 Kudos
MollyJackson
New Contributor III

The other ArcGISPro.pth file is the same as the first:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS Pro\bin

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS Pro\Resources\ArcPy

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts

My install directory is C:\Program Files\ArcGIS Pro

There is a directory at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro but it is empty.

0 Kudos