Solution for creating custom symbology based on 3 fields?

01-28-2015 12:58 PM
MatthewRusso
New Contributor II

Below is an example of 3 fields I want to create symbology based on.

Each feeder number(unique value) has to be put on a color ramp.  Each phase I would like to have a line weight designated to. Overhead/Underground should be dashed, or solid.

The feature class i'm working with has thousands of records and I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to script/SQL statement/automate the process.  I do not want to go through indivdually to edit them.

Maybe i am missing something....

Feeder #PhaseOverhead/Underground
11Overhead
21Underground
33Underground
42Underground
51Overhead
63Overhead
73Overhead
82Underground
91Underground
103Underground
112Overhead
122Overhead
132Overhead
141Overhead
151Overhead
161Underground
173Underground
183Underground
193Underground
202Underground
6 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Matthew,

When you right-click you layer you can go to properties. Go to the symbology tab and on the left choose Multiple Attributes. As value fields you can choose Phase and Overhead. Now click on Add all values. This should let you specify how you want to draw each combination.

Hope this helps!

Tim

0 Kudos
MatthewRusso
New Contributor II

Tim,

This is what I am trying to do but with my layer, I have so many values to individually populate that it would be to time consuming.  I want to be able to set "Rules" for my symbology.  "If Phase = 1 then line weight = 2"  "If Phase = 2 then line weight = 4".  I just ran my file through this and had 5000+ unique records.  I am wondering if you have the ability to give symbology defintions through a geodatabase with  domains etc.

I might be misunderstanding you but thanks!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

IF you leave feeder out of your symbology I don't know why it would give you so many unique records. It should only give you 6. If you also use feeder in your symbology then my method won't work since you would have to symbolize too many manually.

I don't think ArcGIS has the capability to symbolize via code.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You may want to look into Representations and Managing overrides with explicit fields in particular:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

You will need a Standard or Advanced license level...

0 Kudos
MatthewRusso
New Contributor II

I'm on 10.1,  I am testing add a representation to a file to see if it fits the need.

Thanks for the info it looks promising.

0 Kudos
MatthewRusso
New Contributor II

That makes sense, I am trying to help out a co-worker with this so maybe I can get him started with this and see what we can make work.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos